Friday, November 17, 2017

GREEN EGGS AND HAM!


Shop your local indie bookstore.
My Green Eggs and Ham collage is one of my favorites. I'm sorry, but it's not for sale. The collage is actually made from a book that my sister and brothers shared when we were young. We didn't have much but we did belong to a Dr. Seuss Book Club that sent books once a month. Each month one of us would get to "own" the book that came in and that included opening it after dinner. I remember the excitement of the moment when the book of the month was revealed. At this point I believe I have all or most of the books that were delivered to us and they are all in less than ideal condition to hold and read, but perfect for a recycled story. 
In an apparent bet with his editor, Dr. Seuss (aka Theodor Seuss Geisel), created Green Eggs and Ham with just 50 different words to tell the story. The Cat in the Hat uses 225 words. Our cover, published in 1960, promotes the 50 word vocabulary as a feature. As an educator I loved reading this book with my students and would use "You do not like them so you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may I say." as a callback to encourage students to try new things. Green Eggs and Ham is a wonderful edition to your personal library. 
I've taken the collage out of the frame so you can see the detail. Hope it  makes you want to read the book!







No comments:

Post a Comment